Saint Marys Station
Metadata
Title:Saint Marys Station
Other Names:Rocky Ridge Station, Foot of the Ridge Station, Saint Marys Stage Station
History:The site of St. Mary's Stage Station, also called Rocky Ridge Station because of a cliff near by, is marked with a stone tablet. The station was built in 1859 by Russell, Majors and Waddell, and when the transcontinental telegraph line was established in 1861, St. Mary's was made a depot. In May, 1865, while the five-man garrison hid in an abandoned well, 150 Cheyenne and Arapaho burned the station and cut 400 yards of telegraph wire. When the ammunition in the buildings exploded, they fled. The station was rebuilt, but nothing remains except old square-cut nails, melted glass, broken pottery, and pieces of telegraph insulators. (Wyoming Guide) "Up a kanyon of the Sweetwater. Ford the river 5 times, making a total of 8. After 16 miles, "Ice Springs" in a swampy valley, and one quarter of a mile beyond "Warm Springs." Then rough descent and waterless stretch. Descend by "Lander's Cut-off" into fertile bottom. "Rocky Ridge Station; " at Muskrat Creek good cold spring, grass, and sage fuel." (Burton) Listed as Rocky Ridge Station on the 1861 Overland Mail Contract, in Henderson's papers and on Bishop & Henderson map. (WSL) Located 12 miles from Warm Springs Station and 12 miles from Rock Creek Station on east side of Silver Creek. Known by many as St. Mary's Station. This was a Home Station and William Reid was Station Tender. (Henderson) This was a stage station and garrisoned point during the Civil War. It was also known as "Foot-of-the-Ridge Station" and Rocky Ridge Station." On May 27, 1865, the Indians burned the station. The five station attendants hid in the well. The telegraph instrument and other articles which the men took with them were later found in a niche in the rocks in Sweetwater River Canyon. When the station was rebuilt, it was named "St. Mary's Station." It is probably remembered as much for this unusual name as for any other importance. (Wyoming Recreation Commission, 1984)
County:Fremont
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:The site of St. Mary's Stage Station, also called Rocky Ridge Station because of a cliff near by, is marked with a stone tablet. The station was built in 1859 by Russell, Majors and Waddell, and when the transcontinental telegraph line was established in 1861, St. Mary's was made a depot. In May, 1865, while the five-man garrison hid in an abandoned well, 150 Cheyenne and Arapaho burned the station and cut 400 yards of telegraph wire. When the ammunition in the buildings exploded, they fled. The station was rebuilt, but nothing remains except old square-cut nails, melted glass, broken pottery, and pieces of telegraph insulators. (Wyoming Guide) "Up a kanyon of the Sweetwater. Ford the river 5 times, making a total of 8. After 16 miles, "Ice Springs" in a swampy valley, and one quarter of a mile beyond "Warm Springs." Then rough descent and waterless stretch. Descend by "Lander's Cut-off" into fertile bottom. "Rocky Ridge Station" at Muskrat Creek good cold spring, grass, and sage fuel." (Burton) Listed as Rocky Ridge Station on the 1861 Overland Mail Contract, in Henderson's papers and on Bishop & Henderson map. (WSL) Located 12 miles from Warm Springs Station and 12 miles from Rock Creek Station on east side of Silver Creek. Known by many as St. Mary's Station. This was a Home Station and William Reid was Station Tender. (Henderson) This was a stage station and garrisoned point during the Civil War. It was also known as "Foot-of-the-Ridge Station" and Rocky Ridge Station." On May 27, 1865, the Indians burned the station. The five station attendants hid in the well. The telegraph instrument and other articles which the men took with them were later found in a niche in the rocks in Sweetwater River Canyon. When the station was rebuilt, it was named "St. Mary's Station." It is probably remembered as much for this unusual name as for any other importance. (Wyoming Recreation Commission, 1984)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11186057

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library