Red Cloud Agency
Metadata
Title:Red Cloud Agency
History:As a result of the Fort Laramie Treaty (1868), the US government built Indian agencies for the various Lakota and other Plains tribes. The Red Cloud Agency was established for the Oglala Lakota in 1871 and was located on the North Platte River near the Wyoming/Nebraska Border. In 1873, the agency was moved to the White River near Camp Robinson in northwestern Nebraska. In 1877, it was moved to the mouth of Medicine Creek on the Missouri River in present-day South Dakota. From that point on, it has been known as the Pine Ridge Agency. (WSL)
County:Goshen
Origin Of Name:The agency was known as the Red Cloud Agency, after the Oglala Sioux chief's name, Red Cloud. (United States National Archives)As a result of the Fort Laramie Treaty (1868), the US government built Indian agencies for the various Lakota and other Plains tribes. The Red Cloud Agency was established for the Oglala Lakota in 1871 and was located on the North Platte River near the Wyoming/Nebraska Border. In 1873, the agency was moved to the White River near Camp Robinson in northwestern Nebraska. In 1877, it was moved to the mouth of Medicine Creek on the Missouri River in present-day South Dakota. From that point on, it has been known as the Pine Ridge Agency. (WSL)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11181082

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library