Fort MacKenzie
Metadata
Title:Fort MacKenzie
History:On January 13, 1899, Senator F.E. Warren, introduced a bill for a military post to be built in this region. By 1905 it was a well equipped fort. It is now used as a Government hospital for veterans. (WPA) Fort MacKenzie Post Office was established on November 11, 1905 with Malwina Appel as postmaster. It was discontinued on June 29, 1918. Its mail was then handled by the Sheridan Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Postoffice and military post three miles northwest of Sheridan, in Sheridan County. Four companies of the Nineteenth Infantry are stationed here. Fine buildings, large hospital and quartermaster's stables under construction. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
County:Sheridan
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for General MacKenzie, one of the captors of the Cheyennes under Dull Knife in the Hole-in-the-Wall country in the fall of 1876. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)On January 13, 1899, Senator F.E. Warren, introduced a bill for a military post to be built in this region. By 1905 it was a well equipped fort. It is now used as a Government hospital for veterans. (WPA) Fort MacKenzie Post Office was established on November 11, 1905 with Malwina Appel as postmaster. It was discontinued on June 29, 1918. Its mail was then handled by the Sheridan Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Postoffice and military post three miles northwest of Sheridan, in Sheridan County. Four companies of the Nineteenth Infantry are stationed here. Fine buildings, large hospital and quartermaster's stables under construction. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11142275

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library