Tubb Town
Metadata
Title:Tubb Town
Other Names:Field, Field City
History:Today, an historical marker titled "Site of Field City" marks the location of the former town. The inscription on it reads: The deserted site of Field City or Tubb Town offers silent testimony to the boom and bust fate of many western towns. In the spring of 1889 Deloss Tubbs, a businessman from Custer, Dakota Territory, laid out Field City around his store on the east bank of Salt Creek. Tubbs, together with saloon keeper F. R. Curran, foresaw the economic advantages of locating a townsite along the anticipated route of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad. Idled in Alliance, Nebraska, for want of suitable locomotive coal to continue its northwest course, the B & M sought a connection with the transcontinental Northern Pacific at Billings, Montana. Recently discovered coal deposits at Cambria, nine miles northwest of Tubb Town, made the railroad extension possible. Within a few months Tubb Town could boast of a milk ranch, newspaper and Chinese laundry. However, the town's saloons, dance halls, and sporting houses fostered a "hell raising" notoriety. The first ordinance passed by the new residents reportedly stated that "no one shall pass through without paying sufficient toll to set 'em up to the bunch." The eagerly awaited connection with the Burlington and Missouri upon which Tubb Town staked its future failed to materialize. Land price disagreements resulted in a reroute two miles west. In November 1889, the railway reached the fledgling community of Newcastle. Residents of Tubb Town, accepting the inevitable, packed up their businesses and belongings and moved en masse to Newcastle. Thus, Field City died unceremoniously in the year of its birth, leaving only memories and occasional symptoms of "Tubb Town hangover" to perplex Newcastle citizens. (Wyoming State Historic Marker)
County:Weston
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Established by Deloss Tubbs as "Field City" in 1889 on the east bank of Salt Creek in 1889 prior to the surveying for the Burlington and Missouri Railroad. When the railroad was built to the west, the buildings in Tubb Town were moved to Newcastle and Tubb Town disappeared. (Mabel Brown)Today, an historical marker titled "Site of Field City" marks the location of the former town. The inscription on it reads: The deserted site of Field City or Tubb Town offers silent testimony to the boom and bust fate of many western towns. In the spring of 1889 Deloss Tubbs, a businessman from Custer, Dakota Territory, laid out Field City around his store on the east bank of Salt Creek. Tubbs, together with saloon keeper F. R. Curran, foresaw the economic advantages of locating a townsite along the anticipated route of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad. Idled in Alliance, Nebraska, for want of suitable locomotive coal to continue its northwest course, the B & M sought a connection with the transcontinental Northern Pacific at Billings, Montana. Recently discovered coal deposits at Cambria, nine miles northwest of Tubb Town, made the railroad extension possible. Within a few months Tubb Town could boast of a milk ranch, newspaper and Chinese laundry. However, the town's saloons, dance halls, and sporting houses fostered a "hell raising" notoriety. The first ordinance passed by the new residents reportedly stated that "no one shall pass through without paying sufficient toll to set 'em up to the bunch." The eagerly awaited connection with the Burlington and Missouri upon which Tubb Town staked its future failed to materialize. Land price disagreements resulted in a reroute two miles west. In November 1889, the railway reached the fledgling community of Newcastle. Residents of Tubb Town, accepting the inevitable, packed up their businesses and belongings and moved en masse to Newcastle. Thus, Field City died unceremoniously in the year of its birth, leaving only memories and occasional symptoms of "Tubb Town hangover" to perplex Newcastle citizens. (Wyoming State Historic Marker)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Brown, M.E. "Mr. Tubbs and His Town; - Field City" in Bits and Pieces, Vol. 5. No. 4 (1969), pp. 1-5.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11142200

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library