Douglas
Metadata
Title:Douglas
Other Names:Antelope
History:Douglas Post Office was established on June 28, 1886 in Albany County. James F. McReynolds was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) The county seat of Converse County, on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, 14 miles northwest from Orin Junction. Located on the North Platte River and surrounded by a splendid stock raising and farming country, Douglas is one of the commercial centers of Wyoming. An important wool shipping center. Electric light, water works, sewers, etc. Good churches and excellent schools. A new school building has recently been erected at a cost of $16,000, and a new court house just completed at a cost of $30,000. Natural gas and oil wells near city. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) The county seat of Converse County, on the Chicago and Northwestern and Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railway, one hundred and eighty miles due north of Cheyenne, on the famous Yellowstone Highway. The direct road to Yellowstone Park, on the bank of the North Platte River and surrounded by splendid irrigated ranches and stock raising country. Douglas is one of the important commercial and wool shipping centers in Wyoming. Has electric lights, new ninety thousand dollar water works, sewers, etc. good churches and excellent modern school buildings. Its citizens point with great civic pride to the modern federal building in which are located post and land offices, a beautiful court house and new City Hall. Natural gas and oil wells near city now under active development. Population about thirty-five hundred, altitude 4,816 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
County:Converse
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for Stephen A. Douglas who debated with President Lincoln. (WPA) Named in honor of Senator Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois, Abraham Lincoln's opponent in the famous Lincoln-Douglas debates. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3) Douglas, Converse County, Wyoming was platted by the Pioneer Town Site Company in 1886 and was named for Senator Stephen A. Douglas, of Illinois. (Stennett)Douglas Post Office was established on June 28, 1886 in Albany County. James F. McReynolds was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) The county seat of Converse County, on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, 14 miles northwest from Orin Junction. Located on the North Platte River and surrounded by a splendid stock raising and farming country, Douglas is one of the commercial centers of Wyoming. An important wool shipping center. Electric light, water works, sewers, etc. Good churches and excellent schools. A new school building has recently been erected at a cost of $16,000, and a new court house just completed at a cost of $30,000. Natural gas and oil wells near city. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) The county seat of Converse County, on the Chicago and Northwestern and Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railway, one hundred and eighty miles due north of Cheyenne, on the famous Yellowstone Highway. The direct road to Yellowstone Park, on the bank of the North Platte River and surrounded by splendid irrigated ranches and stock raising country. Douglas is one of the important commercial and wool shipping centers in Wyoming. Has electric lights, new ninety thousand dollar water works, sewers, etc. good churches and excellent modern school buildings. Its citizens point with great civic pride to the modern federal building in which are located post and land offices, a beautiful court house and new City Hall. Natural gas and oil wells near city now under active development. Population about thirty-five hundred, altitude 4,816 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Douglas. Linda Graves Fabian, Carol Price Tripp, Arlene Ekland-Earnst, and the Wyoming Pioneer Memorial Museum. Charleston, SC : Arcadia Pub., c2010.; Historic downtown Douglas: A Walking tour. Douglas Historic Preservation Commission.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11142174

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library