Jackson
Metadata
Title:Jackson
Other Names:Marysvale
History:The Jackson Post Office was established in March, 1892 in Uinta County as the Marysvale Post Office. Its name was changed to Jackson Post Office on January 22, 1896. (Wyoming Post Offices) On August 7, 1914, the Board of County Commissioners of Lincoln County approved the incorporation of the Town of Jackson. This was prior to the formation of Teton County, which was organized on December 2, 1922 with Jackson as its county seat. (Kemmerer Camera August 19, 1914) A postoffice in Uinta county, the center of the Jackson's Hole District, a large cattle and live stock country. Reached by stage from Diamondville, on the Oregon Short Line Railroad. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) A postoffice and small town in Uinta County. Stockraising the leading industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Postoffice and county seat of the newly established county of Teton, 28 miles from Victor, Idaho, the nearest railroad point. Stock raising is the principal industry. Population 285. Altitude 6,698 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
County:Teton
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named after David E. Jackson by William L. Sublette of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3) Named for Jackson Lake which had been named for Captain David E. Jackson who was in the region with William L. Sublette in the early 1800's. (Annals of Wyoming 15:1) The town of Jackson was evidently named from Jackson Hole, which was named for David E. Jackson, one of the early explorers and trappers. Jackson Hole takes its name from a basin which was called a hole in the early times. It was formerly called Jackson's Hole which is more accurate but somebody decided to drop the "s". Perhaps the real meaning of the name, that is, that this particular hole belonged to Jackson, was overlooked. (WPA)The Jackson Post Office was established in March, 1892 in Uinta County as the Marysvale Post Office. Its name was changed to Jackson Post Office on January 22, 1896. (Wyoming Post Offices) On August 7, 1914, the Board of County Commissioners of Lincoln County approved the incorporation of the Town of Jackson. This was prior to the formation of Teton County, which was organized on December 2, 1922 with Jackson as its county seat. (Kemmerer Camera August 19, 1914) A postoffice in Uinta county, the center of the Jackson's Hole District, a large cattle and live stock country. Reached by stage from Diamondville, on the Oregon Short Line Railroad. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) A postoffice and small town in Uinta County. Stockraising the leading industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Postoffice and county seat of the newly established county of Teton, 28 miles from Victor, Idaho, the nearest railroad point. Stock raising is the principal industry. Population 285. Altitude 6,698 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:And that's the way it was in Jackson's Hole. Huyler, John S. Jackson, Wyo. : Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum, 2000.; Historic downtown Jackson: self-guided walking tour. Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum. Jackson, WY : Jackson Hole Historical Society & Museum, 2005.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11142169

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library