Copperton
Metadata
Title:Copperton
Other Names:Coppertown
History:Copperton Post Office was established on April 24, 1900 with Cecilia Teller as its postmaster. It was discontinued on October 31, 1901 but re-established on April 15, 1904. It was discontinued again in September, 1909 and its mail then handled at Dillon Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) A mining camp in Carbon County, about 40 miles south of Walcott, the nearest railway station. Population, 100. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
County:Carbon
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for the copper taken from the nearby mountain. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3) Ghost remnants of a way station of early mining days, named for copper taken from the nearby mountain. Most of the copper ore taken from the mine was of carbonate and sulpuret, the latter sometimes very rich in both copper and silver, yielding as high as 60 percent of the former, as high as 500 ounces per ton of silver. (WPA)Copperton Post Office was established on April 24, 1900 with Cecilia Teller as its postmaster. It was discontinued on October 31, 1901 but re-established on April 15, 1904. It was discontinued again in September, 1909 and its mail then handled at Dillon Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) A mining camp in Carbon County, about 40 miles south of Walcott, the nearest railway station. Population, 100. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11142112

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library