Fort Sanders
Metadata
Title:Fort Sanders
Other Names:Fort Buford, Fort John Buford
History:This post was established on the Union Pacific Railroad line at Big Laramie, on July 4, 1866, when, pursuant to General Order 33, Department of the Missouri, dated March 10, 1866, Capt. John T. Mizner, commanding Company F, 5th U.S. Volunteer Infantry, and Company A, 6th U.S. Volunteer Infantry, transferred these companies from Fort Halleck to the new location in Wyoming. Originally, the post was named Fort John Buford in compliance with General Field Order 1, Department of Missouri, dated June 23, 1866. The name was changed to Fort Sanders on September 5, 1866, in honor of Brig. Gen. William P. Sanders, U.S. Volunteers, in accordance with General Order 15, Department of the Platte, dated the same day. The post served to protect the stage route at Big Laramie and was abandoned on May 18, 1882, in compliance with General Order 9, Department of the Platte, dated May 11, 1882. War Department General Order 72 of August 22, 1884, turned the post over to the Interior Department for disposition. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands) Fort Sanders Post Office was established as Fort John Buford Post Office in October, 1866 in Dakota Territory. It was changed to Fort Sanders Post Office in November, 1866. It was discontinued on June 2, 1882 and its mail then handled at Laramie City Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) The Fort Sanders Guardhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (National Register of Historic Places)
County:Albany
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Fort Sanders was located three miles south of Laramie. It was established as a military post on July 19, 1866. Known first as Fort John Buford, after General John Buford, who died December 16, 1863, this fort was later named for General William P. Sanders. General Sanders died from wounds received in the battle at Knoxville, Tennesse in November 1863. Fort Sanders was built to protect the Overland Trail and the construction of the Union Pacific Railway from hostile Indian attacks. (WPA) Named for Brig. General Wm. P. Sanders of Mississippi who was killed at Knoxville, Tennessee, November, 1863. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)This post was established on the Union Pacific Railroad line at Big Laramie, on July 4, 1866, when, pursuant to General Order 33, Department of the Missouri, dated March 10, 1866, Capt. John T. Mizner, commanding Company F, 5th U.S. Volunteer Infantry, and Company A, 6th U.S. Volunteer Infantry, transferred these companies from Fort Halleck to the new location in Wyoming. Originally, the post was named Fort John Buford in compliance with General Field Order 1, Department of Missouri, dated June 23, 1866. The name was changed to Fort Sanders on September 5, 1866, in honor of Brig. Gen. William P. Sanders, U.S. Volunteers, in accordance with General Order 15, Department of the Platte, dated the same day. The post served to protect the stage route at Big Laramie and was abandoned on May 18, 1882, in compliance with General Order 9, Department of the Platte, dated May 11, 1882. War Department General Order 72 of August 22, 1884, turned the post over to the Interior Department for disposition. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands) Fort Sanders Post Office was established as Fort John Buford Post Office in October, 1866 in Dakota Territory. It was changed to Fort Sanders Post Office in November, 1866. It was discontinued on June 2, 1882 and its mail then handled at Laramie City Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) The Fort Sanders Guardhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (National Register of Historic Places)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:A history of Fort Sanders, Wyoming. Revere, Ray. Thesis (M.A.); University of Wyoming, 1960.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11142013

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library