Dietz
Metadata
Title:Dietz
Other Names:Higby
History:Dietz Post Office was established as Higby Post Office on December 24, 1894 and its name changed to Dietz on February 4, 1901. Clarence W. Hudson was the first postmaster. It was discontinued on January 31, 1930 and its mail then handled by Sheridan Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Important coal mining town and station on the Burlington and Missouri Railway in Sheridan County, 3 miles south of Clearmont. The railroad station is called Regis. [Note: This may not be true; the Commercial Atlas of America of 1924 indicates that Dietz was west of Sheridan while Regis was east of Sheridan.] The output of coal is 1,500 tons daily, employing 1,000 men. Population, 1,500. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) Important coal mining town and station of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in Sheridan County, 4 miles north of Sheridan. Two shaft and three slope mines with an output of 4,000 tons per day, employing 1,000 men. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
County:Sheridan
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for C.N. Dietz, of Omaha, one of the founders of the Dome Lake Club. Dietz was President of the Sheridan Fuel Company which owned the Higby Coal Mine and the town, formerly known as Higby, was rechristened Dietz. (WPA) Named for the Dietz brothers, Charles, Frank and Gould, who developed the Dietz coal mines on the Burlington Railroad in Sheridan County. (Annals of Wyoming 15:1)Dietz Post Office was established as Higby Post Office on December 24, 1894 and its name changed to Dietz on February 4, 1901. Clarence W. Hudson was the first postmaster. It was discontinued on January 31, 1930 and its mail then handled by Sheridan Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Important coal mining town and station on the Burlington and Missouri Railway in Sheridan County, 3 miles south of Clearmont. The railroad station is called Regis. [Note: This may not be true; the Commercial Atlas of America of 1924 indicates that Dietz was west of Sheridan while Regis was east of Sheridan.] The output of coal is 1,500 tons daily, employing 1,000 men. Population, 1,500. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) Important coal mining town and station of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in Sheridan County, 4 miles north of Sheridan. Two shaft and three slope mines with an output of 4,000 tons per day, employing 1,000 men. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:The Black Diamond Trail Interpretive Plan. Wyoming State Parks and Cultural Resources, State Historic Preservation Office. Web, 2015
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141903

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library