Higby
Metadata
Title:Higby
Other Names:Dietz
History:Higby Post Office was established on December 24, 1894 with Roland R. Woods as postmaster. Its name was changed to Dietz on February 4, 1901. (Wyoming Post Offices)
County:Sheridan
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for Anson Higby, a trustee of the Sheridan Fuel Company that was formed in 1893. The Sheridan Fuel Company invested in coal in the area. (Cheyenne Daily Leader March 08, 1893, page 3) Higby was renamed Dietz. Dietz was named for C.N. Dietz, of Omaha, one of the founders of the Dome Lake Club. Dietz was President of the Sheridan Fuel Company which owned the Higby Coal Mine and the town was rechristened Dietz. (WPA)Higby Post Office was established on December 24, 1894 with Roland R. Woods as postmaster. Its name was changed to Dietz on February 4, 1901. (Wyoming Post Offices)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141859

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library