Carbon
Metadata
Title:Carbon
History:Carbon Post Office was established on March 17, 1869 with Thomas Wardell as postmaster. It was discontinued on January 2, 1907 and its mail then handled by Como Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) In 1884 Carbon was a flourishing mining town with a population of some five hundred miners, many of whom were married, and a floating population that often swelled its numbers to a thousand or more. Carbon was located on the Union Pacific Railroad about halfway between Laramie and Rawlins. In the early 1900's the Union Pacific Railroad decided to shorten the track between Laramie and Rawlins which led to the town being abandoned. The mines nearby were in operation as early as 1866 and were known to the Indians much earlier than that. Indians once described the location as being the "place where the rocks burned." (WPA) An incorporated city in Carbon County, on branch of Union Pacific Railroad, 6 miles southwest from Allen Junction. Large coal mining interests. The present city council is as follows; John Marwell mayor; John Whalen clerk; L. R. Meyer, treasurer; Uriah Davis, marshal; Fred Peterson, Anthony Dodds, Jno Parr, James Buckley, councilmen. Population 1,000. altitude 6821 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
County:Carbon
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named because of the large deposits of coal located here. Now a ghost town. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)Carbon Post Office was established on March 17, 1869 with Thomas Wardell as postmaster. It was discontinued on January 2, 1907 and its mail then handled by Como Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) In 1884 Carbon was a flourishing mining town with a population of some five hundred miners, many of whom were married, and a floating population that often swelled its numbers to a thousand or more. Carbon was located on the Union Pacific Railroad about halfway between Laramie and Rawlins. In the early 1900's the Union Pacific Railroad decided to shorten the track between Laramie and Rawlins which led to the town being abandoned. The mines nearby were in operation as early as 1866 and were known to the Indians much earlier than that. Indians once described the location as being the "place where the rocks burned." (WPA) An incorporated city in Carbon County, on branch of Union Pacific Railroad, 6 miles southwest from Allen Junction. Large coal mining interests. The present city council is as followsJohn Marwell mayorJohn Whalen clerkL. R. Meyer, treasurerUriah Davis, marshalFred Peterson, Anthony Dodds, Jno Parr, James Buckley, councilmen. Population 1,000. altitude 6821 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141599

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library