Fort Washakie
Metadata
Title:Fort Washakie
Other Names:Camp at "Snake Indian Reservation", Camp Augur, Camp Brown, Fort Brown; Fort Washakie Military Reservation
History:The post was established on June 28, 1869 as a subpost of Fort Bridger in compliance with the terms of a treaty with the Shoshoni and Bannock Indians. The post was originally known as the Camp at “Snake Indian Reservation”. It was subsequently named Camp Augur in honor of Brig. Gen. Christopher C. Augur who negotiated the treaty. On March 28, 1870 Department of the Platte General Order 12 redesignated it in memory of Capt. Frederick E. Brown, 18th U.S. Infantry who was killed near Fort Phil Kearny by Sioux Indians on December 21, 1866. The first garrison consisted of Company H, 7th U.S. Infantry, commanded by Capt. Frederick Phisterer. The post became independent on August 20, 1870 and was moved to a location about 1½ miles from the Shoshoni Agency, on the right bank of the Little Wind River. The name of the post was changed to Fort Washakie in accordance with General Order 9, Division of the Missouri, dated December 30, 1878 in honor of Chief Washakie of the Shoshoni. An Executive Order of May 21, 1887 (Published in War Department General Order 37, May 26, 1887), proclaimed a reservation of 1,405 acres. The post was abandoned on March 30, 1909, pursuant to General Order 23, Department of the Missouri, dated March 10, 1909. Subsequently, the post and reservation were turned over to the Interior Department for disposition and became headquarters for the Shoshoni Agency. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands) Fort Washakie Post Office was established on March 18, 1875 as Camp Brown Post Office. Its name was changed to Fort Washakie Post Office on May 7, 1879. (Wyoming Post Offices) Formerly a government military post on the Shoshone Indian Reservation in Fremont County, 16 miles northwest from Lander. Beautifully located on the Little Wind River in a fine valley with magnificent mountain scenery. Hot springs containing excellent medicinal properties are owned by the government and bathing is free. Stage lines run from Lander. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
County:Fremont
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Established by the federal government in 1869 as Camp Augur. Name changed to Camp Brown. Renamed Fort Washakie in 1878 for Chief Washakie of the Shoshone tribe. A government post until 1907, it is now headquarters for the offices of the United States Indian Services on the Wind River Indian Reservation. (WPA) Named for Chief Washakie of the Shoshoni Indians. Formerly Camp Brown. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)The post was established on June 28, 1869 as a subpost of Fort Bridger in compliance with the terms of a treaty with the Shoshoni and Bannock Indians. The post was originally known as the Camp at “Snake Indian Reservation”. It was subsequently named Camp Augur in honor of Brig. Gen. Christopher C. Augur who negotiated the treaty. On March 28, 1870 Department of the Platte General Order 12 redesignated it in memory of Capt. Frederick E. Brown, 18th U.S. Infantry who was killed near Fort Phil Kearny by Sioux Indians on December 21, 1866. The first garrison consisted of Company H, 7th U.S. Infantry, commanded by Capt. Frederick Phisterer. The post became independent on August 20, 1870 and was moved to a location about 1½ miles from the Shoshoni Agency, on the right bank of the Little Wind River. The name of the post was changed to Fort Washakie in accordance with General Order 9, Division of the Missouri, dated December 30, 1878 in honor of Chief Washakie of the Shoshoni. An Executive Order of May 21, 1887 (Published in War Department General Order 37, May 26, 1887), proclaimed a reservation of 1,405 acres. The post was abandoned on March 30, 1909, pursuant to General Order 23, Department of the Missouri, dated March 10, 1909. Subsequently, the post and reservation were turned over to the Interior Department for disposition and became headquarters for the Shoshoni Agency. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands) Fort Washakie Post Office was established on March 18, 1875 as Camp Brown Post Office. Its name was changed to Fort Washakie Post Office on May 7, 1879. (Wyoming Post Offices) Formerly a government military post on the Shoshone Indian Reservation in Fremont County, 16 miles northwest from Lander. Beautifully located on the Little Wind River in a fine valley with magnificent mountain scenery. Hot springs containing excellent medicinal properties are owned by the government and bathing is free. Stage lines run from Lander. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141502

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library