Camp Brown
Metadata
Title:Camp Brown
Other Names:Camp Augur, Fort Brown, Fort Washakie
History:Camp Brown Post Office was established on March 18, 1875 in Sweetwater County. James K. Moore was the postmaster. It was renamed Fort Washakie Post Office on May 7, 1879. (Wyoming Post Offices) Established June 28, 1869 as Camp Augur. Name changed to Camp Brown March 28, 1870 and to Fort Washakie, December 30, 1878. (US Military Reservations)
County:Fremont
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Established by the federal government in 1869 as Camp Augur. Name changed to Camp Brown. Renamed Fort Washakie in 1878 for Chief Washakie of the Shoshone tribe. A government post until 1907, it is now headquarters for the offices of the United States Indian Services on the Wind River Indian Reservation. (WPA) Formerly Camp Augur. Renamed on March 28, 1870, in honor of a young lieutenant killed in the Fetterman Massacre. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)Camp Brown Post Office was established on March 18, 1875 in Sweetwater County. James K. Moore was the postmaster. It was renamed Fort Washakie Post Office on May 7, 1879. (Wyoming Post Offices) Established June 28, 1869 as Camp Augur. Name changed to Camp Brown March 28, 1870 and to Fort Washakie, December 30, 1878. (US Military Reservations)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141454

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library