Granite Canon
Metadata
Title:Granite Canon
Other Names:Granite
History:Granite Canyon Post Office was established on June 11, 1872 with D. W. Spring as postmaster. It was discontinued on August 29, 1873. It was established as Granite Canon Post Office on December 31, 1883. (Wyoming Post Offices) Station on the Union Pacific Railroad in Laramie County, 19 miles west from Cheyenne. Population, 5. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
County:Laramie
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:"This formation crosses the railroad between Granite Canon and Buford, presenting belts of fine-grained red granite, near Granite Canon, alternating with reddish and gray gneiss. This is evidently a belt of mineral-bearing rock, and, but for the flattened surface of the mountain and a deep covering of drift that prevents the exposure of the rock-formations except in isolated places, mines would be discovered without expensive prospecting." (Report of the Commissioner of the General Land Office, 1874) Granite Canyon, a railway station with a store, a gasoline pump, and springs of pure water, was named for the heaps and ridges of stone that marked the countryside. (Wyoming Guide)Granite Canyon Post Office was established on June 11, 1872 with D. W. Spring as postmaster. It was discontinued on August 29, 1873. It was established as Granite Canon Post Office on December 31, 1883. (Wyoming Post Offices) Station on the Union Pacific Railroad in Laramie County, 19 miles west from Cheyenne. Population, 5. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141372

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library