Lusk
Metadata
Title:Lusk
History:Lusk Post Office was established on February 15, 1884 in Laramie County prior to the formation of Niobrara County. J. S. McHenry was the first postmaster. Frank S. Lusk became the postmaster on May 14, 1884. (Wyoming Post Offices) An incorporated city in Converse county, on the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad, 8 miles east from Manville, an important wool and cattle shipping point, surrounded by a stock raising country. Lusk has the modern city improvements, electric light and fine water plant. Population, 250. Altitude, 5,007 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) An incorporated city in Converse County, on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, 108 miles east from Casper and 55 miles east from Douglas. An important cattle shipping point, surrounded by a stockraising and excellent farming country. Lusk has the modern city improvements, a fine water plant. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Lusk has a population of 2,000 people and is growing rapidly. It is the county seat of Niobrara County. It is a division point of the Chicago Northwestern Railway, midway between Chadron, Neb. and Casper, Wyo. Lusk is about centrally located as regards Niobrara County. The surrounding country, of which it is a marketing point and a supply headquarters, is largely occupied by men engaged in farming and livestock growing. Lusk has a fine water works and sewerage system. (Wyoming State Business Directory 1922)
County:Niobrara
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for Frank S. Lusk, cattleman and owner of the site on which the town was located. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3) Lusk, Converse County, Wyoming was named for Frank S. Lusk, the owner of the land on which the town site was located by him. He was a well known ranchman of Wyoming and subsequently a prominent railroad contractor. (Stennett, 1908)Lusk Post Office was established on February 15, 1884 in Laramie County prior to the formation of Niobrara County. J. S. McHenry was the first postmaster. Frank S. Lusk became the postmaster on May 14, 1884. (Wyoming Post Offices) An incorporated city in Converse county, on the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad, 8 miles east from Manville, an important wool and cattle shipping point, surrounded by a stock raising country. Lusk has the modern city improvements, electric light and fine water plant. Population, 250. Altitude, 5,007 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) An incorporated city in Converse County, on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, 108 miles east from Casper and 55 miles east from Douglas. An important cattle shipping point, surrounded by a stockraising and excellent farming country. Lusk has the modern city improvements, a fine water plant. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Lusk has a population of 2,000 people and is growing rapidly. It is the county seat of Niobrara County. It is a division point of the Chicago Northwestern Railway, midway between Chadron, Neb. and Casper, Wyo. Lusk is about centrally located as regards Niobrara County. The surrounding country, of which it is a marketing point and a supply headquarters, is largely occupied by men engaged in farming and livestock growing. Lusk has a fine water works and sewerage system. (Wyoming State Business Directory 1922)
Topic:A story of Lusk : the first 100 years. Johnson, Doris DeSersa. [Lusk, WY : The Author, 2004].; Lusk, Wyoming. Niobrara Historical Brevity July 1, 1986. Niobrara County Library Web, 2015
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141322

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library