Lavoye
Metadata
Title:Lavoye
Other Names:Salt Creek
History:Lavoye Post Office was established on January 22, 1923 with George L. Stafford as postmaster. Its name was changed to Salt Creek Post Office on January 15, 1924 and back to Lavoye on April 1, 1924. It was discontinued on September 7, 1929 and its mail then handled by the Columbine Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) There were three Salt Creek Post Offices. The first Salt Creek Post Office was established on April 26, 1912; its name was changed to Midwest on January 1, 1924. The second was established as Lavoye Post Office and its name changed to Salt Creek on January 15, 1924. Its name was changed back to Lavoye on April 1, 1924. The third Salt Creek Post Office was established on April 1, 1924. (Wyoming Post Offices) Lavoye, Wyoming located about forty-eight miles north of Casper in Natrona County, once was a booming oil field town. Today there is little evidence that such a town ever existed. In the "twenties" Lavoye was a shopping and entertainment center for the oil field workers and their families. (Bits and Pieces 4:9) In October of 1923, the entire town of Lavoye was "removed" to allow for the development of the Salt Creek Oil Field. (Buffalo Bulletin October 18, 1923, page 1)
County:Natrona
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Ghost town of the oil boom days, named for Louis Lavoye, original homesteader. (WPA) Named for Louis Lavoye, original homesteader of the land on which the town was located. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)Lavoye Post Office was established on January 22, 1923 with George L. Stafford as postmaster. Its name was changed to Salt Creek Post Office on January 15, 1924 and back to Lavoye on April 1, 1924. It was discontinued on September 7, 1929 and its mail then handled by the Columbine Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) There were three Salt Creek Post Offices. The first Salt Creek Post Office was established on April 26, 1912its name was changed to Midwest on January 1, 1924. The second was established as Lavoye Post Office and its name changed to Salt Creek on January 15, 1924. Its name was changed back to Lavoye on April 1, 1924. The third Salt Creek Post Office was established on April 1, 1924. (Wyoming Post Offices) Lavoye, Wyoming located about forty-eight miles north of Casper in Natrona County, once was a booming oil field town. Today there is little evidence that such a town ever existed. In the "twenties" Lavoye was a shopping and entertainment center for the oil field workers and their families. (Bits and Pieces 4:9) In October of 1923, the entire town of Lavoye was "removed" to allow for the development of the Salt Creek Oil Field. (Buffalo Bulletin October 18, 1923, page 1)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141254

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library