Rudefeha
Metadata
Title:Rudefeha
Other Names:Ferris-Haggarty, Osceola
History:Rudefeha Post Office was established as Osceola Post Office on January 10, 1900. Its name was changed to Rudefeha on September 22, 1900 and it was discontinued on December 15, 1905. Mail was then handled by the Dillon Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) A growing mining camp in Carbon County, 56 miles southwest from Walcott station on the Union Pacific Railroad, the nearest railway point. Population, 150. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
County:Carbon
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:In 1896 Ed Haggarty, prospector, found outcrops of copper ore near Bridger Peak. The mine, developed here by Haggarty and the partners who had grub staked him, was called Rudefeha, a name composed of the first and second letters of the partners' names: Rumsey, Deal, Ferris, and Haggarty. Encampment was founded the next year by Willis George Emerson, novelist, lawyer, politician and promoter, who formed the North American Copper Company, bought the Rudefeha, and renamed it the Ferris-Haggarty. (Wyoming Guide)Rudefeha Post Office was established as Osceola Post Office on January 10, 1900. Its name was changed to Rudefeha on September 22, 1900 and it was discontinued on December 15, 1905. Mail was then handled by the Dillon Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) A growing mining camp in Carbon County, 56 miles southwest from Walcott station on the Union Pacific Railroad, the nearest railway point. Population, 150. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141248

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library