Benton
Metadata
Title:Benton
History:Benton Post Office was established on June 29, 1868 in Carter County. William A. Hodgman was its postmaster. It was discontinued on October 15, 1868 after which its mail was handled at the Fort Fred Steele Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Located on the Union Pacific Railroad west of Fort Steele. (Atlas, 1872)
County:Carbon
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for the United States Senator Thomas H. Benton. Benton, located on an alkali flat two or three miles west of Fort Steele (a military reservation at the railroad crossing of the North Platte River) was another railroad tent town that sprang into being in the year 1868. This town was called Benton and like Bear Town, there was a leavening element among its residents, and they later helped greatly in developing Rawlins into a major Wyoming town. During the first few months of Benton's existence, it was a reputed moral replica of Sodom and Gomorrah, with devotees of every form of outlawry. Crime control was absent in Benton. (WPA)Benton Post Office was established on June 29, 1868 in Carter County. William A. Hodgman was its postmaster. It was discontinued on October 15, 1868 after which its mail was handled at the Fort Fred Steele Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Located on the Union Pacific Railroad west of Fort Steele. (Atlas, 1872)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Benton, Wyoming : a "hell-on-wheels" town which quickly was, then wasn't in the 1868 passing construction phase of the transcontinental railroad : one family's ties to it and those times and circumstances. Hanks, Ted L. Salem, Utah : T.L. Hanks, c2002.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141138

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library