Glenrock
Metadata
Title:Glenrock
Other Names:Deer Creek Station, Mercedes, Nuttall, Nuttell
History:Glenrock Post Office was established on January 20, 1887 in Albany County. Oceota B. Abbott was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) A coal mining town on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in Converse County, 24 miles west from Douglas and 20 miles east from Casper. The Glenrock Coal Co.'s mines are located here and furnish employment for a large force of men. The town is pleasantly located on the North Platte River and is surrounded by a good farming and stockraising country. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
County:Converse
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for a large rock in the vicinity that had been a sentinel or guide to travelers. When the Deer Creek station was no longer used, the settlement was called Mercedes. With the discovery of coal, the name was changed to Nuttall, after William Nuttall who found and developed the coal property. In 1887 the settlement took the name of Glenrock from the granite rock near the refinery. (WPA) Named from the fur traders' and trappers' name for a large rock that had been a sentinel for generations to travelers over this part of the country. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3) Glen Rock, Converse County, Wyoming. Was named from the fur traders' and trappers' name for a large rock that had been a sentinel for generations to travelers over this part of the country. (Stennett) "Deer Creek Station was the name applied in the 60's, but as that outpost fell into disuse, a settlement grew up at the mouth of Deer Creek, which was called Mercedes. After the discovery of coal, the place was named Nuttall, from Wm. Nuttall, who found and developed the coal property. In 1887 it took the name of Glenrock (when the buildings were moved to the present location), from the sandstone eminence near the refinery." The name Glenrock means "Rock in the Valley." (Annals of Wyoming 28:2)Glenrock Post Office was established on January 20, 1887 in Albany County. Oceota B. Abbott was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) A coal mining town on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in Converse County, 24 miles west from Douglas and 20 miles east from Casper. The Glenrock Coal Co.'s mines are located here and furnish employment for a large force of men. The town is pleasantly located on the North Platte River and is surrounded by a good farming and stockraising country. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Deer Creek : frontiers crossroad in pre-territorial Wyoming. Bryans, Bill. [Glenrock, Wyo. : Glenrock Historical Commission], c1990 Mountain States Lithographing Co.); 100 years of Glenrock : Glenrock centennial 1909-2009. [S.l. : s.n.], 2009.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141117

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library