Glendo
Metadata
Title:Glendo
Other Names:Old Horse Shoe, Horseshoe Station, Bellewood
History:Glendo, north of Wheatland, is the home of the famous Horseshoe Station where Portuguese Phillips stopped on his famous ride to Fort Laramie and had a message wired to the commanding officer, telling of the Fetterman Massacre. Phillips died in Cheyenne in 1883. (WPA) Glendo Post Office was established as Bellewood Post Office on May 31, 1889 in Laramie County prior to the formation of Platte County. Its location and name was changed to Glendo on December 26, 1890. Bridgett McDermott was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) Station on the Colorado and Southern Railroad in Laramie County, 14 miles southeast of Orin Junction and 44 miles north of Wheatland. Stockraising the leading industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Postoffice in Platte County and station on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railway, 44 miles north of Wheatland, the county seat. Situated in the heart of an agricultural, stock raising, mining and oil region, rich in productiveness and a promising future. Prosperous and substantial commercial interests. Population 200. Altitude 4,718 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
County:Platte
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:This settlement was once a mail and stage station formerly called "Old Horse Shoe." ... It was named by a visionary young engineer when the railroad reached that terminal in 1887. He was inspired by the nearby fertile valley of Horse Shoe Creek, which is rich in industrial lore. (Christiansen) "Mr. McDermott, who tells the origin of the name Bellewood, which most of the pioneers felt should have been transferred to Glendo when the McDermott family moved there, tells where the name Glendo originated. When the railroad was being built to the terminal, now known as Glendo, the three engineers in charge of construction, William Kidd (chief), William Farley and George St. Dennis, with their crews, stayed at Bellewood. Kidd, an Englishman educated in France, was given the privilege of naming the three high-sounding stations, Cassa (from Latin casa, meaning cabin, or Spanish casa, house), Bona (from the bon, meaning good) and Glendo (from the Gaelic gleann, meaning valley), the valley apparently being at nearby Horseshoe (Bellewood), as the town is located on a high level plain." (Trenholm)Glendo, north of Wheatland, is the home of the famous Horseshoe Station where Portuguese Phillips stopped on his famous ride to Fort Laramie and had a message wired to the commanding officer, telling of the Fetterman Massacre. Phillips died in Cheyenne in 1883. (WPA) Glendo Post Office was established as Bellewood Post Office on May 31, 1889 in Laramie County prior to the formation of Platte County. Its location and name was changed to Glendo on December 26, 1890. Bridgett McDermott was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) Station on the Colorado and Southern Railroad in Laramie County, 14 miles southeast of Orin Junction and 44 miles north of Wheatland. Stockraising the leading industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Postoffice in Platte County and station on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railway, 44 miles north of Wheatland, the county seat. Situated in the heart of an agricultural, stock raising, mining and oil region, rich in productiveness and a promising future. Prosperous and substantial commercial interests. Population 200. Altitude 4,718 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Footprints on the frontier : saga of the La Ramie region of Wyoming. Trenholm, Virginia Cole. [Douglas, Wyo. : Printed by Douglas Enterprise Co., 1945]
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141112

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library