Oil City (Natrona)
Metadata
Title:Oil City (Natrona)
History:Oil City Post Office was first established on July 29, 1886 in Carbon County prior to the formation of Natrona County. Daniel N. Carrington was the postmaster. It was discontinued on September 15, 1886 but established again on September 13, 1888. It was discontinued again on June 13, 1895 but re-established on March 28, 1898. It was discontinued for a final time on May 25, 1923 and its mail was then handled by the Miller Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Country postoffice in Natrona County, 48 miles southwest from Casper and 19 miles south of Waltman, the nearest railroad point. Stockraising the principal industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
County:Natrona
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Located on Poison Spider Creeknamed by S.A. Aggers, who came from Oil City, Pennsylvania in the 1880's and drilled for oil. (WPA) So named because of the drilling for oil in that vicinity in 1880 by S. A. Aggers who hailed from Oil City, Pennsylvania. (Annals of Wyoming 15:1)Oil City Post Office was first established on July 29, 1886 in Carbon County prior to the formation of Natrona County. Daniel N. Carrington was the postmaster. It was discontinued on September 15, 1886 but established again on September 13, 1888. It was discontinued again on June 13, 1895 but re-established on March 28, 1898. It was discontinued for a final time on May 25, 1923 and its mail was then handled by the Miller Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Country postoffice in Natrona County, 48 miles southwest from Casper and 19 miles south of Waltman, the nearest railroad point. Stockraising the principal industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11141093

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library