Teton National Forest
Metadata
Title:Teton National Forest
Other Names:Teton Forest Reserve, Yellowstone Timber Land Reserve, Yellowstone Forest Reserve, Yellowstone National Forest, Bridger-Teton National Forest
History:Teton National Forest was established on February 22, 1897 by Proclamation of President Grover Cleveland. (Presidential Proclamation 394) By Proclamation of President Theodore Roosevelt on May 22, 1902, it was consolidated with Yellowstone Timber Land Reserve and the name Teton discontinued. (Presidential Proclamation 473) On July 1, 1908, it was re-established from a portion of the Yellowstone Reserve. It was combined administratively with Bridger National Forest in 1973 and is now known as the Bridger-Teton National Forest. (Davis)
County:Teton
Feature Category:Special Features
Origin Of Name:The Teton National Forest encircles Jackson Hole like a lopsided doughnut. It occupies the mountain ranges on both sides of Jackson Hole and extends northward across the valley of the South Fork of the Snake River and around Jackson Lake. Its southern limit is the boundary of the Hoback River drainage. In general the mountains in this circuit are not very high or rough, but they are heavily timbered - chiefly with lodgepole pine. The notable exception is the Teton Peaks, a relatively short range of high, scenic mountains lying on the west side of Jackson Hole. The division between the Teton and Targhee National Forest follows the Continental Divide, of which this range is the backbone. The streams on the eastern slope of Teton Peaks have eaten back on the divide between the mountains so far that at present these peaks are no longer on the main ridge, but lie entirely on the Teton Forest, considerably east of the boundary line. These bold mountains have perpetual snow on their peaks, and their tree growth, even on the lower slopes, is valued less as timber than as watershed protection. (WPA)Teton National Forest was established on February 22, 1897 by Proclamation of President Grover Cleveland. (Presidential Proclamation 394) By Proclamation of President Theodore Roosevelt on May 22, 1902, it was consolidated with Yellowstone Timber Land Reserve and the name Teton discontinued. (Presidential Proclamation 473) On July 1, 1908, it was re-established from a portion of the Yellowstone Reserve. It was combined administratively with Bridger National Forest in 1973 and is now known as the Bridger-Teton National Forest. (Davis)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Grover Cleveland: "Proclamation 394—Withdrawl of Lands for the Teton Forest Reserve, Wyoming," February 22, 1897. Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project.; Theodore Roosevelt: "Proclamation 473—Establishment of the Yellowstone Forest Reserve and the Teton Forest Reserve," May 22, 1902.Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140926

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library