Boyd
Metadata
Title:Boyd
Other Names:Wrighter, Elroy
History:Boyd Post Office was established on August 10, 1894 with Mrs. Minnie Heller as postmaster. It was discontinued on December 31, 1917 and its mail then handled by the Newcastle Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Country postoffice in the northeast corner of Weston County, 14 miles northeast of Cambria. Stock raising the principal industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) A newspaper column titled "Boyd Breezes" appeared in the Newcastle News Journal from 1907 to 1915. (Newcastle News Journal)
County:Weston
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:The original proposed name for the post office was Leon. (Wyoming Post Offices) According to old timers of the area, Boyd was known first as Elroy then as Wrighter. The remaining log building is best remembered as the first Post Office at Boyd on the Canyon Springs Prairie in Northeastern Wyoming. During the 1890's and early 1900's, Henry C. Armfield was in charge. In addition to serving as Post Office for the area, it was also a general store and bachelor quarters for the Postmaster. (Bits and Pieces 1:4)Boyd Post Office was established on August 10, 1894 with Mrs. Minnie Heller as postmaster. It was discontinued on December 31, 1917 and its mail then handled by the Newcastle Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Country postoffice in the northeast corner of Weston County, 14 miles northeast of Cambria. Stock raising the principal industry. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) A newspaper column titled "Boyd Breezes" appeared in the Newcastle News Journal from 1907 to 1915. (Newcastle News Journal)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140895

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library