Albany
Metadata
Title:Albany
Other Names:McNealey's, Stewart
History:Albany Post Office was established as Stewart Post Office on August 27, 1908 and changed to Albany on December 31, 1908. The first postmaster was Ben P. Wigton. It was discontinued in June, 1965 and its mail then handled at Laramie Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Postoffice and station on Laramie, Hahn's Peak and Pacific Railway in Albany County, 40 miles from Laramie. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) A postoffice and station on the Colorado, Wyoming and Eastern Railroad, 40 miles west of Laramie, the county seat and banking point. Has the best mineral exhibit in the State. (Laramie City and Albany County Directory, 1924-1925)
County:Albany
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for the city of Albany, New York. Albany, New York was named for the Duke of York, whose Scotch title was "Duke of Albany," later James II of England. (Gannett, 1905) Received its name from the county in which it is located. (WPA)Albany Post Office was established as Stewart Post Office on August 27, 1908 and changed to Albany on December 31, 1908. The first postmaster was Ben P. Wigton. It was discontinued in June, 1965 and its mail then handled at Laramie Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Postoffice and station on Laramie, Hahn's Peak and Pacific Railway in Albany County, 40 miles from Laramie. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) A postoffice and station on the Colorado, Wyoming and Eastern Railroad, 40 miles west of Laramie, the county seat and banking point. Has the best mineral exhibit in the State. (Laramie City and Albany County Directory, 1924-1925)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140834

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library