Fort Fetterman
Metadata
Title:Fort Fetterman
History:Fort Fetterman Post Office was established on January 28, 1873 in Albany County. The first postmaster was Ephram Tillotson. It was discontinued on November 26, 1873 but re-established on March 22, 1875. It was discontinued again on September 24, 1879, re-established on October 14, 1879 and discontinued again on January 14, 1889. It was re-established a final time on June 24, 1889 and discontinued again on March 5, 1894. Douglas Post Office then handled the mail. (Wyoming Post Offices) Fort Fetterman, located along the south bank of the North Platte River on the Bozeman Trail, was established on July 9, 1867, by Companies A,C, H and I, 4th U.S. Infantry. General Order 33, Department of the Platte, dated July 31, 1867, named the post in honor of Bvt. Lt. Col. William J. Fetterman, 27th Infantry, who was killed at the massacre near Fort Phil Kearny on December 21, 1866. When the Government abandoned Forts Reno, Phil Kearny and C.F. Smith in the summer of 1868, Fort Fetterman assumed major importance as a supply base, headquarters, and assembly point for expeditions in the Powder River Country. The fort served as a base for General Crook’s three expeditions in 1876 into the Powder River area. After the major phase of Army-Indian conflict on the northern Plains ended in 1877, it was no longer imperative to occupy the post. General Sheridan on April 19, 1882 recommended to the Secretary of War that the post be abandoned. In compliance with General Order 9, Department of the Platte, the last troops, Company G, 4th U.S. Infantry, left Fort Fetterman on May 20, 1882, and the post was abandoned. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands)
County:Converse
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Village in Albany County, Wyoming named for Lieut. Col. W. J. Fetterman, killed by the Indians in 1866. (Gannett, 1905) An important trading and military post, established July 19, 1867, at the mouth of La Prele Creek, under the supervision of Major William M. Dye of the fourth Infantry. It was named in honor of brevet Lieutenant Colonel William J. Fetterman, twenty fourth Infantry, killed December 21, 1866, with officers and men, by an overwhelming force of Sioux Indians under the directions of Chief Red Cloud. (WPA) The post received its name in honor of Brevet Lieutenant Colonel William J. Fetterman, captain in the Twenty-seventy Infantry, who, with his whole command was killed in the Indian massacre near Fort Phil. Kearney, December 21, 1866. (Coutant)Fort Fetterman Post Office was established on January 28, 1873 in Albany County. The first postmaster was Ephram Tillotson. It was discontinued on November 26, 1873 but re-established on March 22, 1875. It was discontinued again on September 24, 1879, re-established on October 14, 1879 and discontinued again on January 14, 1889. It was re-established a final time on June 24, 1889 and discontinued again on March 5, 1894. Douglas Post Office then handled the mail. (Wyoming Post Offices) Fort Fetterman, located along the south bank of the North Platte River on the Bozeman Trail, was established on July 9, 1867, by Companies A,C, H and I, 4th U.S. Infantry. General Order 33, Department of the Platte, dated July 31, 1867, named the post in honor of Bvt. Lt. Col. William J. Fetterman, 27th Infantry, who was killed at the massacre near Fort Phil Kearny on December 21, 1866. When the Government abandoned Forts Reno, Phil Kearny and C.F. Smith in the summer of 1868, Fort Fetterman assumed major importance as a supply base, headquarters, and assembly point for expeditions in the Powder River Country. The fort served as a base for General Crook’s three expeditions in 1876 into the Powder River area. After the major phase of Army-Indian conflict on the northern Plains ended in 1877, it was no longer imperative to occupy the post. General Sheridan on April 19, 1882 recommended to the Secretary of War that the post be abandoned. In compliance with General Order 9, Department of the Platte, the last troops, Company G, 4th U.S. Infantry, left Fort Fetterman on May 20, 1882, and the post was abandoned. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:WyomingHeritage.org & Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office. Fort Fetterman. WyoHistory.org
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140831

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library