Cambria
Metadata
Title:Cambria
History:Cambria Post Office was established on February 20, 1890 in Crook County prior to the formation of Weston County. Charles S. Collyer was the postmaster. It was discontinued on July 31, 1928 and its mail then handled by the Newcastle Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Coal mining town in Weston County, at terminus branch of Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, 7 miles north of Newcastle; 1,500 tons of coal mined daily. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Cambria is a small village located in the bottom of the canyon of Little Oil Creek on a branch known as Coal Canyon. It is distinctly a mining camp, having been built up and developed by the Cambria Fuel Co. around the coal-mining plant. (Lupton in Stone, 1912) The discovery of coal in the vicinity of Cambria is variously reported at dates ranging from 1877 to 1886. The field was first thoroughly prospected in 1886, and discoveries made which called attention to the possibilities of the Black Hills as a source of fuel for a railroad crossing the northeast corner of Wyoming. The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, which was then completed to Grand Island, Nebraska, offered to build on west across Wyoming if a sufficient supply of coal could be had. Kilpatrick Brothers, of Beatrice, Nebraska, tested the field at Cambria with diamond drills and started entries in 1889. The main line of the Burlington was extended into Wyoming, with a spur from Newcastle to Cambria, and the first car of coal was loaded in December, 1889, in which month, 2700 tons were shipped. (Stone, 1912)
County:Weston
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Coal mining town named after a coal mining town in England. (WPA) The ancient name of Wales meaning "land of mountains." (Annals of Wyoming 14:3) Named by Kilpatrick Brothers, railroad contractors, who constructed the Burlington Railroad through Wyoming and developed the first coal mine at Cambria on the Burlington in Wyoming. Named after Welsh coal mines. (Annals of Wyoming 15:1) "Some old-timers, now moved to other places, live to tongue-roll the name Cambria. With nostalgia they recall back when when their real blood princess was born, a little blue-eyed babe of a traveling show manager's wife. 'Cambria' she was christened in the miners' interpretation of a royal coronation." (Pence and Homsher)Cambria Post Office was established on February 20, 1890 in Crook County prior to the formation of Weston County. Charles S. Collyer was the postmaster. It was discontinued on July 31, 1928 and its mail then handled by the Newcastle Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Coal mining town in Weston County, at terminus branch of Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, 7 miles north of Newcastle1,500 tons of coal mined daily. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Cambria is a small village located in the bottom of the canyon of Little Oil Creek on a branch known as Coal Canyon. It is distinctly a mining camp, having been built up and developed by the Cambria Fuel Co. around the coal-mining plant. (Lupton in Stone, 1912) The discovery of coal in the vicinity of Cambria is variously reported at dates ranging from 1877 to 1886. The field was first thoroughly prospected in 1886, and discoveries made which called attention to the possibilities of the Black Hills as a source of fuel for a railroad crossing the northeast corner of Wyoming. The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, which was then completed to Grand Island, Nebraska, offered to build on west across Wyoming if a sufficient supply of coal could be had. Kilpatrick Brothers, of Beatrice, Nebraska, tested the field at Cambria with diamond drills and started entries in 1889. The main line of the Burlington was extended into Wyoming, with a spur from Newcastle to Cambria, and the first car of coal was loaded in December, 1889, in which month, 2700 tons were shipped. (Stone, 1912)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140736

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library