Lovell
Metadata
Title:Lovell
History:Lovell Post Office was established on January 12, 1888 in Fremont County prior to the formation of Big Horn County. Its first postmaster was Josiah Cook. (Wyoming Post Offices) Small town and postoffice in Big Horn County, 35 miles northwest from Basin. Stock raising the leading industry. Population, 15. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) A prosperous and rapidly growing town on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in the extreme north end of the Big Horn Basin, on the Shoshone River. Principal industry farming and stockraising. Excellent fruit raised in the neighborhood and many young orchards just planted. About 1,200 acres planted in beets this year. Prospects of a sugar factory in the near future. Large irrigation project just completed, which will furnish water for 20,000 acres. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
County:Big Horn
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Between 1880 and 1883, in the eastern part of the Big Horn Basin, Henry T. Lovell, a native of Kansas, was placing his herds on the west side of the Big Horn River, starting his ranch a few miles above the mouth of Nowood. This became known as the Lovell Home Ranch. Two years later he trailed in three more herds from Oregon. This increased his herd to around 25,000 head. The year previous to this he had established a second ranch on Shell Creek. In 1883 he selected a third ranch site at Five Springs, on the Big Horn River opposite of the town site of Kane. This ranch became known as the M L. The M L was the largest cattle ranch in the eastern part of the Big Horn Basin. The town was eventually named Lovell in honor of Henry T. Lovell. (WPA) Founded by the Mormon colonists who came into the region in 1900 and was named for a big-scale rancher by the name of Lovell who had preceded the Mormons. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)Lovell Post Office was established on January 12, 1888 in Fremont County prior to the formation of Big Horn County. Its first postmaster was Josiah Cook. (Wyoming Post Offices) Small town and postoffice in Big Horn County, 35 miles northwest from Basin. Stock raising the leading industry. Population, 15. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02) A prosperous and rapidly growing town on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in the extreme north end of the Big Horn Basin, on the Shoshone River. Principal industry farming and stockraising. Excellent fruit raised in the neighborhood and many young orchards just planted. About 1,200 acres planted in beets this year. Prospects of a sugar factory in the near future. Large irrigation project just completed, which will furnish water for 20,000 acres. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140713

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library