Fort Phil Kearny
Metadata
Title:Fort Phil Kearny
Other Names:Fort Carrington
County:Johnson
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Located on the Piney Creek northwest of Buffalo in Johnson County near the Sheridan County line, Fort Kearny was built in July 13, 1866 by Colonel H.B. Carrington. This fort was located on the Bozeman Trail, one of three posts established that year. It was used as headquarters for both Fort Reno and Fort C.F. Smith until they were all abandoned by the Government in late August 1868; it was immediately destroyed by the Indians. (WPA) Called Fort Carrington for a time in honor of Colonel H.B. Carrington. Named for Philip Kearny. Annals of Wyoming 14:3)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140558

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library