Four Corners
Metadata
Title:Four Corners
History:Four Corners Post Office was established on May 8, 1916 with Wiley W. Cool as its first postmaster. It became a rural branch of Newcastle Post Office on November 22, 1963. (Wyoming Post Offices) Four Corners used to have a general store with two gas pumps, plus the post office. That closed and the building became a Bread and Breakfast and the post office was moved to another building. The store is now operated as the Four Corners Inn and RV park. Then there was a small restaurant for a while but it's closed now too. The small chapel is still there ... most recently used for weddings and funerals. The post office is still there as well. (Personal Communication, 2009) Postoffice in Weston county, 21 miles north of Newcastle, the county seat and nearest banking point. Cambria is the nearest railroad point. Altitude 5,484 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory. 1922)
County:Weston
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Other proposed names for the post office were Fair View and Cool (Wiley W. Cool was the applicant for the postmaster) In 1941, it was the location of the Prairie Store. (Wyoming Post Offices) Four roads intersect at this location. They are the two ends of U.S. Highway 85, State Highway 585 to Sundance, and the Mallo Road that goes up to Mallo Camp. The Boyd Road joins 85 just a bit north of the buildings at Four Cornersit could also be the 4th one. Wiley Cool started the original Four Corners (there's still a hole in the ground where the store was) at the crossing of Hwy 585 and Pzinski Rd. which is just past the present day Four Corners on 585. It was in hopes that the railroad would come up that way. The original store was known as the Four Corners store and when it was moved to the present location it became know as the Prairie Store at Four Corners. The original post office was at Wiley's store. (Personal Communication, 2009)Four Corners Post Office was established on May 8, 1916 with Wiley W. Cool as its first postmaster. It became a rural branch of Newcastle Post Office on November 22, 1963. (Wyoming Post Offices) Four Corners used to have a general store with two gas pumps, plus the post office. That closed and the building became a Bread and Breakfast and the post office was moved to another building. The store is now operated as the Four Corners Inn and RV park. Then there was a small restaurant for a while but it's closed now too. The small chapel is still there ... most recently used for weddings and funerals. The post office is still there as well. (Personal Communication, 2009) Postoffice in Weston county, 21 miles north of Newcastle, the county seat and nearest banking point. Cambria is the nearest railroad point. Altitude 5,484 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory. 1922)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140530

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library