Cody
Metadata
Title:Cody
History:Cody Post Office was first established on March 24, 1896 but the order of establishment was rescinded. It was established again on October 21, 1896. It was established in Big Horn County prior to the formation of Park County. Edward R. Goodman was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) Cody was incorporated on October 1, 1901. (Cody Enterprise October 03, 1901, page 3) An important and rapidly growing city, the county seat of the recently created Park County, 50 miles northwest from Basin. Cody is the terminus of a new extension of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, from which branches run to Basin, Meeteetse, Thermopolis, etc. Cody is an outfitting point for the Yellowstone National Park, being the nearest railroad station in Wyoming. Beautifully located on the Shoshone River, near the Rattlesnake and Cedar Mountains, De Maris hot springs, with a wonderful canon near by, added to the splendid hunting and fishing, make this place a favorite resort for tourists. Coal, gold, silver, copper and lead are found in the mountains. Stockraising and farming are the leading industries. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
County:Park
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:The town of Cody was named after the famous Indian scout, William F. Cody, of early day activity, who made this his home for many years. His memory is suitably preserved by trophies and momentoes in the Buffalo Bill Museum, and by the Buffalo Bill Memorial Statue, sculpted by Mrs. Harry Payne Whitney, which stands at the extreme western end of the main business street. The Irma Hotel, built by Buffalo Bill and named for his daughter, is a famous hotel dating from pioneer days, and contains paintings depicting the prowess of Colonel Cody as a hunter and scout. (WPA) Named in honor of Colonel William F. Cody, famous guide, scout and showman, who founded the town. (Annals of Wyoming 14:2)Cody Post Office was first established on March 24, 1896 but the order of establishment was rescinded. It was established again on October 21, 1896. It was established in Big Horn County prior to the formation of Park County. Edward R. Goodman was the first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices) Cody was incorporated on October 1, 1901. (Cody Enterprise October 03, 1901, page 3) An important and rapidly growing city, the county seat of the recently created Park County, 50 miles northwest from Basin. Cody is the terminus of a new extension of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, from which branches run to Basin, Meeteetse, Thermopolis, etc. Cody is an outfitting point for the Yellowstone National Park, being the nearest railroad station in Wyoming. Beautifully located on the Shoshone River, near the Rattlesnake and Cedar Mountains, De Maris hot springs, with a wonderful canon near by, added to the splendid hunting and fishing, make this place a favorite resort for tourists. Coal, gold, silver, copper and lead are found in the mountains. Stockraising and farming are the leading industries. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140315

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library