Parco
Metadata
Title:Parco
Other Names:Grenville, P and R, Sinclair
History:Parco Post Office was established on April 11, 1923 with James King as its postmaster. Its name was changed to Sinclair Post Office on January 1, 1943. (Wyoming Post Offices) The Parco (Sinclair) Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in May, 1987. (Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office)
County:Carbon
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:The town was built by the Producers and Refiners Corporation when they entered the Wyoming oil fields and needed an outlet at the most convenient railroad point. Ground was first broken in 1924. Town now known as Sinclair. (WPA) In 1922, the Producers and Refiners Corporation began construction of a refinery near the railroad town of Grenville. In 1924, a town was built for the workers at the refineryit was named Parco for Producers and Refiners Corporation. After oil prices plummeted, Frank Kistler, the owner of the company sold it to Sinclair Refining Company in 1934. Parco was renamed Sinclair in 1942. (WSL based on newspaper accounts)Parco Post Office was established on April 11, 1923 with James King as its postmaster. Its name was changed to Sinclair Post Office on January 1, 1943. (Wyoming Post Offices) The Parco (Sinclair) Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in May, 1987. (Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Parco, Sinclair, Wyoming, 50 years. [Rawlins, Wyo. : Town of Sinclair, 1975]
Subject (LCSH):414630N/1070647W
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140295

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library