Camp Marshall
Metadata
Title:Camp Marshall
Other Names:Old Camp Marshall; La Bonte
History:Camp Marshall, also known as La Bonte; telegraph station about sixty-six miles west of Fort Laramie. Ten miles east of this old station, in 1857, Jim Bridger had a ferry which was in operation for the two following years. The site of the old ferry is a few miles east of Orin Junction of today, where the railroad bridge crosses the North Platte. From this point the old Bozeman Trail, on its way to the Powder River country, left the North Platte. (Hebard and Brininstool) An early camp, destroyed by the Government in 1872 to stop the selling of liquor to the Indians. (WPA)
County:Converse
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Camp Marshall, also known as La Bontetelegraph station about sixty-six miles west of Fort Laramie. Ten miles east of this old station, in 1857, Jim Bridger had a ferry which was in operation for the two following years. The site of the old ferry is a few miles east of Orin Junction of today, where the railroad bridge crosses the North Platte. From this point the old Bozeman Trail, on its way to the Powder River country, left the North Platte. (Hebard and Brininstool) An early camp, destroyed by the Government in 1872 to stop the selling of liquor to the Indians. (WPA)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140289

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library