Fort Francis E. Warren
Metadata
Title:Fort Francis E. Warren
Other Names:Fort Russell, Fort David A. Russell, Fort Warren, Fort F. E. Warren, Fort Francis E. Warren, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base
History:Fort Warren Post Office was established as Fort Russell Post Office on April 25, 1883. Its name was changed to Fort Warren Post Office on February 1, 1930. Elizabeth W. Kieffer was the first postmaster. It was discontinued on April 30, 1942 and its mail then handled by the Cheyenne Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) "This reservation is situated adjacent to the city of Cheyenne, in Laramie County. Exclusive of the lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post, and of the wood reserve, which is included in the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation, it contains an area of about 5,385 acres. The lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post are situated about 20 miles west of the post reservation, between it and the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation. By Executive order dated June 28, 1869, a reservation of 4,512 acres was set apart for military purposes. This area was reduced May 23, 1898, by the transfer to the State of Wyoming of 160 acres for the use of the State Agricultural and Industrial Exposition, under authority of act of Congress approved March 2, 1895 (28 Stat., 946)." (US Military Reservations, 1916)
County:Laramie
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:As a tribute to Senator Francis E. Warren, who served in the senate from 1890 to 1929, and for gallant service in the Civil War as an enlisted man, the name was changed January 1, 1930. It was first called Fort D.A. Russell in honor of brevet Brigadier General David A. Russell. It was established on July 31, 1867. (WPA) Named for Senator Francis E. Warren in 1930. Formerly called Fort D. A. Russell. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)Fort Warren Post Office was established as Fort Russell Post Office on April 25, 1883. Its name was changed to Fort Warren Post Office on February 1, 1930. Elizabeth W. Kieffer was the first postmaster. It was discontinued on April 30, 1942 and its mail then handled by the Cheyenne Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) "This reservation is situated adjacent to the city of Cheyenne, in Laramie County. Exclusive of the lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post, and of the wood reserve, which is included in the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation, it contains an area of about 5,385 acres. The lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post are situated about 20 miles west of the post reservation, between it and the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation. By Executive order dated June 28, 1869, a reservation of 4,512 acres was set apart for military purposes. This area was reduced May 23, 1898, by the transfer to the State of Wyoming of 160 acres for the use of the State Agricultural and Industrial Exposition, under authority of act of Congress approved March 2, 1895 (28 Stat., 946)." (US Military Reservations, 1916)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Holland, Stephen L. From Mules to Missiles: A History of Francis E. Warren Air Force Base and its Predecessors, Fort David A. Russell and Fort Francis E. Warren. United States Dept. of the Air Force, 1987.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11140203

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library