Fort Reno
Metadata
Title:Fort Reno
Other Names:Camp Connor, Cantonment Connor, Fort Connor, Camp Reno
History:Fort Connor was founded in July 1865 by Major General P. E. Connor, as a temporary supply base for his Powder River expedition. The crude buildings stood on a mesa, rising more than 100 feet above the river and extending to white bluffs five miles west. (Wyoming Guide) Established in 1865 as Camp Connor or Cantonment Connor. Rebuilt and improved in 1866 and called Camp Reno and later Fort Reno. Abandoned in 1868. (Brock)
County:Johnson
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Named for General Jesse L. Reno, a hero of the Civil War. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3) This post was established by Maj. Gen. Patrick E. Connor and first garrisoned by a detachment of 5th U.S. Volunteer Infantry and Omaha Scouts on August 28, 1865. Originally known as Fort Connor, after General Connor, it served as a supply base during the Powder River Expedition of 1865 and was located on the Powder River and wagon road from Ft. Laramie to Virginia City, MT. The name of the post was changed to Fort Reno, in honor of Maj. Gen. Jesse L. Reno, pursuant to General Order 46, Department of the Missouri, November 11, 1865. The post was abandoned on August 18, 1868, in compliance with Special Order 80, Department of the Platte, May 19, 1868. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands)Fort Connor was founded in July 1865 by Major General P. E. Connor, as a temporary supply base for his Powder River expedition. The crude buildings stood on a mesa, rising more than 100 feet above the river and extending to white bluffs five miles west. (Wyoming Guide) Established in 1865 as Camp Connor or Cantonment Connor. Rebuilt and improved in 1866 and called Camp Reno and later Fort Reno. Abandoned in 1868. (Brock)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11139709

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library