Lewiston
Metadata
Title:Lewiston
Other Names:Grosvenor
History:Lewiston Post Office was established on January 29, 1883 in Sweetwater County prior to the formation of Fremont County. Joseph Miller was the postmaster. It was discontinued on November 20, 1883 but re-established on April 13, 1891. It was discontinued again on April 2, 1906 and its mail then handled by the Atlantic City Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Small town and postoffice in Fremont County, 27 miles southeast from Lander. Stock raising and mining the leading industries. Population, 30. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
County:Fremont
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:In 1882, Captain H.G. Nickerson and his brother, Sage Nickerson, with two or three associates, while doing some placer work on Strawberry Creek, at a point about 14 miles east of the town of South Pass City, uncovered a large vein of rather high grade gold ore. They at once located the vein and called it the "Bullion." Shortly after its discovery, the Bullion property was acquired, by purchase, or option, by a man named Lewis, who at once erected a stamp mill and hoisting works, and proceeded to do some development work. These operations led to the establishment of a town near the site, which was given the name "Lewiston", after the man whose activities had attracted its population. Mr. Lewis continued his operations for only a year or two and then disappeared. The property was never worked to any great extent after Mr. Lewis gave it up. Consequently, the town was always a small place. It probably never had a population of more than 100. At the present time there is only one family living there, and little is left to mark the place where the town once stood. (WPA) Named for a man by the name of Lewis who erected a stamp mill and hoisting works on gold properties discovered by Captain H. G. Nickerson in 1882. (Annals of Wyoming 14:3)Lewiston Post Office was established on January 29, 1883 in Sweetwater County prior to the formation of Fremont County. Joseph Miller was the postmaster. It was discontinued on November 20, 1883 but re-established on April 13, 1891. It was discontinued again on April 2, 1906 and its mail then handled by the Atlantic City Post Office. (Wyoming Post Offices) Small town and postoffice in Fremont County, 27 miles southeast from Lander. Stock raising and mining the leading industries. Population, 30. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1901-02)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11139693

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library