Dixon
Metadata
Title:Dixon
History:Dixon Post Office was established on June 24, 1874 with Robert Dixon as postmaster. It was discontinued on November 28, 1879 but re-established on January 19, 1881. (Wyoming Post Offices) A farming and stock growing town in the southwestern part of Carbon County, 75 miles south of Rawlins, the county seat, and 58 miles from Wamsutter, the nearest railway point. Daily stages and mails to Rawlins. Good churches and schools. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Situated on the Little Snake River, in the southwestern part of Carbon County, is the incorporated Town of Dixon. It is seventy-five miles south of Rawlins, the county seat, and sixty miles from Wamsutter, the nearest railroad point, with which place it is connected by a daily mail stage line. Dixon has a large milling and power plant, a sawmill, a bank which carries deposits of over a quarter of a million dollars, a telephone exchange, a public school, several stores and an Episcopal Church. Its altitude is 6,854 feet and in 1915 its population was 111. (Bartlett)
County:Carbon
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Dixon Post Office was established in June, 1874 with Robert Dixon as its first postmaster. (Wyoming Post Offices)Dixon Post Office was established on June 24, 1874 with Robert Dixon as postmaster. It was discontinued on November 28, 1879 but re-established on January 19, 1881. (Wyoming Post Offices) A farming and stock growing town in the southwestern part of Carbon County, 75 miles south of Rawlins, the county seat, and 58 miles from Wamsutter, the nearest railway point. Daily stages and mails to Rawlins. Good churches and schools. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Situated on the Little Snake River, in the southwestern part of Carbon County, is the incorporated Town of Dixon. It is seventy-five miles south of Rawlins, the county seat, and sixty miles from Wamsutter, the nearest railroad point, with which place it is connected by a daily mail stage line. Dixon has a large milling and power plant, a sawmill, a bank which carries deposits of over a quarter of a million dollars, a telephone exchange, a public school, several stores and an Episcopal Church. Its altitude is 6,854 feet and in 1915 its population was 111. (Bartlett)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11139423

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library