Fort D. A. Russell
Metadata
Title:Fort D. A. Russell
Other Names:Post on Crow Creek, Fort Russell, Fort David A. Russell, Fort Warren, Fort F. E. Warren, Fort Francis E. Warren, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base
History:Fort Russell Post Office was established on April 25, 1883 with Charles A. Weidman as postmaster. It was discontinued on January 4, 1884 but re-established on January 13, 1888. Its name was changed to Fort Warren on February 1, 1930. (Wyoming Post Offices) "This reservation is situated adjacent to the city of Cheyenne, in Laramie County. Exclusive of the lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post, and of the wood reserve, which is included in the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation, it contains an area of about 5,385 acres. The lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post are situated about 20 miles west of the post reservation, between it and the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation. By Executive order dated June 28, 1869, a reservation of 4,512 acres was set apart for military purposes. This area was reduced May 23, 1898, by the transfer to the State of Wyoming of 160 acres for the use of the State Agricultural and Industrial Exposition, under authority of act of Congress approved March 2, 1895 (28 Stat., 946)." (US Military Reservations, 1916) A military post in Laramie County, 3 miles west of Cheyenne. No business. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Postoffice and military post in Laramie County on the Colorado and Southern Railway, 3 miles northwest of Cheyenne, the county seat and banking point. Third largest army post in the United States. No business. Population about 6,000. Altitude 6,500 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
County:Laramie
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Fort D.A. Russell was located 3 miles west of Cheyenne, Wyoming on the north bank of Crow Creek, a branch of the South Platte River. It was named in honor of Brig. Gen. David A. Russell, who was killed in the Battle of Opequan, VA on September 19, 1864. The post was established to protect Union Pacific Railroad workers and was first garrisoned on July 21, 1867, when Col. John D. Stevenson arrived at the site with Companies B, K, and G, 30th U.S. Infantry. First known as the Post on Crow Creek, the installation was officially designated Fort D.A. Russell by General Order 33, Department of the Platte, dated July 31, 1867. On October 14, 1904, the former Crow Creek Forest Reserve was designated the Fort D.A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation per War Department General Order 162. During the summers of 1906, 1908 and 1910, temporary camps of instruction were established on the target and maneuver reservation. Fort D.A. Russell was renamed Fort Francis E. Warren on January 1, 1930. On April 1, 1948, the reservation was transferred to the Department of the Air Force. (Records of the U.S. Army Continental Commands)Fort Russell Post Office was established on April 25, 1883 with Charles A. Weidman as postmaster. It was discontinued on January 4, 1884 but re-established on January 13, 1888. Its name was changed to Fort Warren on February 1, 1930. (Wyoming Post Offices) "This reservation is situated adjacent to the city of Cheyenne, in Laramie County. Exclusive of the lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post, and of the wood reserve, which is included in the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation, it contains an area of about 5,385 acres. The lands reserved for the protection of the water supply of the post are situated about 20 miles west of the post reservation, between it and the Fort D. A. Russell Target and Maneuver Reservation. By Executive order dated June 28, 1869, a reservation of 4,512 acres was set apart for military purposes. This area was reduced May 23, 1898, by the transfer to the State of Wyoming of 160 acres for the use of the State Agricultural and Industrial Exposition, under authority of act of Congress approved March 2, 1895 (28 Stat., 946)." (US Military Reservations, 1916) A military post in Laramie County, 3 miles west of Cheyenne. No business. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1910-11) Postoffice and military post in Laramie County on the Colorado and Southern Railway, 3 miles northwest of Cheyenne, the county seat and banking point. Third largest army post in the United States. No business. Population about 6,000. Altitude 6,500 feet. (Wyoming State Business Directory, 1922)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Topic:Holland, Stephen L. From Mules to Missiles: A History of Francis E. Warren Air Force Base and Its Predecessors, Fort David A. Russell and Fort Francis E. Warren. United States Dept. of the Air Force, 1987.
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11139371

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library