Fort Caspar
Metadata
Title:Fort Caspar
Other Names:Camp Platte, Mormon Ferry, Mormon Crossing, Guinard's Bridge and Trading Post, Platte Bridge, Platte Bridge Station
History:The military post, built in 1858 and known variously as the Mormon Ferry post, Platte Bridge Station, and Fort Caspar was a two company post. It was the key point in maintaining emigrant traffic and communications up the Sweetwater Valley. The Army abandoned the post in 1867 when it was replaced by Fort Fetterman. (Wyoming Recreation Commission, 1984)
County:Natrona
Feature Category:Manmade Features
Origin Of Name:Casper was established in the early summer of 1888, and was named after Fort Caspar, a military post first established in 1858. The site of Fort Caspar was called Camp Platte from 1840 to 1847. When the Mormons passed through here in June 1847, they built and operated a ferry across the river, and then the name was changed to Mormon Ferry or Mormon Crossing. Louis Guinard built a bridge across the river at this point in the winter of 1858-59, and the name was then changed to Platte Bridge Station. Lieutenant Caspar W. Collins was killed by Indians near the fort on July 26, 1865, and in October of that year Major General Pope ordered the name changed to Fort Caspar. (Annals of Wyoming 15:1)The military post, built in 1858 and known variously as the Mormon Ferry post, Platte Bridge Station, and Fort Caspar was a two company post. It was the key point in maintaining emigrant traffic and communications up the Sweetwater Valley. The Army abandoned the post in 1867 when it was replaced by Fort Fetterman. (Wyoming Recreation Commission, 1984)
Type (DCMI):JPEG
Link:Search Wyoming Places
Document ID:11139351

Links
Digital Library:
© 2018 Wyoming State Library; all rights reserved.
Wyoming State Library